Indrajit Roy is a Staff Engineer at Google, currently working on distributed storage systems and databases. Previously, he was a Principal Researcher at HP Labs (2010-2016). Indrajit received his Ph.D. in computer science from UT Austin, under the supervision of Prof. Emmett Witchel, and his B.Tech. degree from IIT Kanpur. Email: indrajitroy[at]google[dot]com
I led the development of Distributed R, an open source HPE project that brings the benefits of parallelism to data scientists.
We recently released ddR, a CRAN package for Distributed Data-structures in R (HPE Blog). Airavat : Security and privacy for MapReduce using differential privacy
Laminar : Integrates OS and JVM techniques to implement information flow control
I have been fortunate to work with very productive interns who also made research enjoyable.
- Terry Hsu (Purdue)
- Pravin Shinde (ETH)
- Kyungyong Lee (UFL), Sangman Kim (UT Austin)
- Feng Liu (Princeton), Erik Bodzsar (UChicago)
- Shivaram Venkataraman (UC Berkeley), Michael Lee (UCSD)
- NVthreads: Practical Persistence for Multi-threaded Applications. Terry Ching-Hsiang Hsu, Helge Brugner, Indrajit Roy, Kimberly Keeton, Patrick Eugster. Eurosys 2017, Belgrade, Serbia.
- dmapply: A Functional Primitive to Express Distributed Machine Learning Algorithms in R. Edward Ma, Vishrut Gupta, Meichun Hsu, Indrajit Roy. VLDB 2016, New Delhi, India.
- Accelerating Graph Applications on Integrated GPU Platforms via Instrumentation-Driven Optimizations. Naila Farooqui, Indrajit Roy, Yuan Chen, Vanish Talwar, Karsten Schwan. Computing Frontiers (CF) 2016, Como, Italy. Best paper award.
- Using Data Transformations for Low-Latency Time Series Analysis. Heggang Cui, Kimberly Keeton, Indrajit Roy, Krishnamurthy Viswanathan, Gregory R. Ganger. SOCC 2015, Hawaii, USA.
- Large scale predictive analytics in Vertica: Fast data transfer, distributed model creation and in-database prediction. Shreya Prasad, Arash Fard, Vishrut Gupta, Jorge Martinez, Jeff LeFevre, Vincent Xu, Meichun Hsu, Indrajit Roy. Sigmod 2015, Melbourne, Australia.
- Evaluating Integrated Graphics Processors for Data Center Workloads.Sangman Kim, Indrajit Roy, Vanish Talwar. HotPower 2013, Farmington, USA.
- Views and Transactional Storage for Large Graphs. Michael Lee, Indrajit Roy, Alvin AuYoung, Vanish Talwar, K.R. Jayaram, Yuanyuan Zhou. Middleware 2013, Beijing, China. Best paper award.
- Presto: Distributed Machine Learning and Graph Processing with Sparse Matrices. Shivaram Venkataraman, Erik Bodzsar, Indrajit Roy, Alvin AuYoung, Rob Schreiber. Eurosys 2013, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Pasture: Secure Offline Data Access Using Commodity Trusted Hardware. Ramakrishna Kotla, Tom Rodeheffer, Indrajit Roy, Patrick Stuedi, Benjamin Wester. OSDI 2012, Hollywood, USA.
- Using R for Iterative and Incremental Processing. Shivaram Venkataraman, Indrajit Roy, Alvin AuYoung, Rob Schreiber. HotCloud 2012, Boston, USA.
- Ensuring Operating System Kernel Integrity with OSck. Owen S. Hofmann, Alan Dunn, Sangman Kim, Indrajit Roy, Emmett Witchel. ASPLOS 2011, Newport Beach, USA.
- Airavat: Security and Privacy for MapReduce. Indrajit Roy, Srinath T.V. Setty, Ann Kilzer, Vitaly Shmatikov, Emmett Witchel.NSDI 2010, San Jose, USA.
- Laminar: Practical Fine-Grained Decentralized Information Flow Control. Indrajit Roy, Donald E. Porter, Michael D. Bond, Kathryn S. McKinley, Emmett Witchel. PLDI 2009, Dublin, Ireland.
- How to Commit Conflicting Transactions in an STM. Hany Ramadan, Indrajit Roy, Maurice Herlihy, Emmett Witchel. PPOPP 2009, Raleigh, USA.
- A Primal-Dual Resource Augmentation Analysis of a Constant Approximate Algorithm for Stable Coalitions in a Cluster.Nedialko B. Dimitrov, Indrajit Roy. SPAA 2008, Munich, Germany.
- Improved Error Reporting for Software that Uses Black-Box Components. Jungwoo Ha, Christopher J. Rossbach, Jason V. Davis, Indrajit Roy, Hany E. Ramadan, Donald E. Porter, David L. Chen, Emmett Witchel. PLDI 2007, San Diego, USA.
- BAR gossip. Harry C. Li, Allen Clement, Edmund L. Wong, Jeff Napper, Indrajit Roy, Lorenzo Alvisi, Michael Dahlin. OSDI 2006, Seattle, USA.
- Practical Fine-Grained Decentralized Information Flow Control Using Laminar. Donald E. Porter, Michael D. Bond, Indrajit Roy, Kathryn S. McKinley, Emmett Witchel. ACM TOPLAS, Volume 37, Issue 1, November 2014.
- Protecting Sensitive Information from Untrusted Code. Indrajit Roy. Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Computer Science, UT Austin. August, 2010.
- Best paper awards at the international Middleware conference 2013 and Computing Frontiers 2016
- Press: HP blog1, HP blog2, Distributed R announcement
6 awarded, 10+ pending